Friday, April 6, 2012

Grade III

We met with the Oncologist today about Jackson and what to do next. Let's just say things don't look good.

Basically it all comes down to his tumor being a Grade III. Had it been Grade I we wouldn't be discussing any further treatment. Surgery would have been enough. With Grade III there is no cure. These tumors are both very locally aggressive and highly metastatic (spread throughout the body). There is an option for us to do chemotherapy. The chemotherapy would consist of 2 drugs given once alternating every second week for 8 total treatments. Doing this can slow disease progression and may significantly increase Jackson's cancer free time, but still most dogs die within the first year. That is the part I can not digest. When the doctor said that I lost it. How can our happy, healthy boy be dead in just a year. So unfair.

Anyone who really knows me knows that Jackson's not just our dog. I've had him since I was 18. He was our "child" for 5 years before we had Haylee. He has always been treated like one of our girls and spoiled just the same. Every year we include a paragraph about him in our Christmas letter and before we had the girls our Christmas picture was him and us. I can not imagine life without him. I cry just typing this. I knew he wouldn't life forever but just knowing he will die of some horrible disease makes it 10 times worse. This just totally breaks my heart.

We have a week to decide what we're going to do. Money is not a factor in our decision. We want what's best for Jackson. I do know that I will spend every last second of his life making sure he knows how much he is loved. He has been the best dog ever and will never be replaced. I will take him on walks, play ball with him, taking him camping....all of his favorite things. I love my little boy and he'll always have a special place in my heart.

0 comments: