Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Opinions

*Please note: This post is based entirely on MY opinions.*

I have to admit, I've always been a person with strong opinions. Before I became a Mother (and even after I guess) I use to say I wouldn't use certain baby gear, or let my child do certain things. It's amazing how my entire perspective on some things has changed. I can now relate a lot better to why Mom's do the things they do. For example, I use to see Mom's wearing their baby in a sling and say, "I would never use one of those. My baby could suffocate." Well after being educated a little on baby wearing and hearing how people highly recommend them, I've decided to get a "nicer" one to use with Natalee. After some research, I've decided to go with the Adjustable Pouch by Kangaroo Korner.




Another thing that has always bothered me is when parents have their child on a leash. I know they make cute ones attached to little animal backpacks and whatever else, but there is still a leash you are holding that is attached to your child. In my opinion, leashes are for dogs. I now understand why parents use them but I still can't justify on this one. I did however buy something similar (for when we took Haylee to Disneyland when she was 16 months) called the KinderKord but I rarely used it. A "KinderKord is a wrist to wrist connection for you and your child which leaves your hands free--while keeping your child physically connected to you." This I could justify (even if it's similar) because I wasn't holding a leash, I was wearing a bracelet and so was my child and it kept her from running to far away.



Something I found myself saying often was, "my child will never act like that." I would see kids throwing temper tantrums and always put the blame on the parent for letting their child act like that. Boy was I wrong with this one. Now that I'm a mom to a child who throws fits all the time, I understand that sometimes the parent simply has no control over the situation. I can tell Haylee, "we don't act like that" or try to discipline her but it really doesn't work when she is having a temper tantrum. The best thing I've found to work is just ignoring her and try to talk about it with her when she's done freaking out. Luckily almost all of her tantrums are done at home and not in public!

Parenting is basically trial and error. Being a Mom is the hardest job, but I love my little Haylee girl so much. Some days are easier than others and some days I want to pull my hair out, but I always survive. Now raising 2 little girls? I think I'll need some Zoloft!

2 comments:

Jennie said...

I LOVE my sling. Plus it kept people for touching her because she was attached to me - very nice!

Keep in mind that you can roll up a receiving blanket and tuck the roll under baby's head/neck/shoulders to help elevate her more in the sling when she's newborn (we had to do that with Maggie a lot because she was so small).

Beka said...

ha ha! well said- i was the perfect mom till i became one:)